Osteochondrosis (bone - osteon, cartilage chondros, gr.)– is degenerative changes in the cartilaginous tissue of the intervertebral disc that start with the eating disorders, the weakening of metabolic processes and lead to aging and tissue destruction of the disc cartilage and intervertebral joints.
Diagnosis and treatment of cervical osteochondrosis is a complex process, since this column is the most mobile, and the muscles that support the vertebrae, the weakest and most difficult of the year. Another difficulty lies in the fact that the support for the cervical in contrast with the corset and bandages for other parts of your spine to wear and tear, it is quite difficult, as it can not be hidden under the clothes.
What causes lower back pain
Causes of degenerative disc disease of the cervical, various, from hereditary tendency to the constant high loads. In the modern world osteochondrosis significantly younger, their symptoms begin to appear in people 20 years of age and sometimes younger.
The main causes of the diseases are the following:
- Overload static when the person is forced for a long period of time to be in uniform position. Permanent seat in the computer chair or a car is one of the main causes of degenerative disc disease, including cervical;
- Dynamic overload, sudden movements, turns, incorrectly calculated loads during sports. Frequent changes in body position, lifting and moving of heavy loads;
- Incorrect posture while sitting at a Desk or standing wearing a backpack on one shoulder;
- Disk permanent injury, myositis of the muscles neck.
The main causes of the disease are added to other factors, such as hypothermia, the influence of certain chemical substances in the air and food, the failure in the diet and the rest, excess weight, genetic predisposition,venous pathology of the joints, hormonal disruption. All of these factors by themselves can hardly become a cause of osteoarthritis, but in combination with the main reasons, which increase the danger of its occurrence.
How to recognize the disease
Signs of osteochondrosis of the cervical so obvious that anyone can easily be able to recognize it:
- The difficulties that arise when you try to turn your head. Depending on the location and intensity of the infringement, the angle of rotation can be different – sometimes a person absolutely can not rotate the head, and sometimes I felt only minor pain;
- Neck muscles are in constant tension, this starts to hurt the shoulder, all strip. Any attempt to straighten the shoulders and relax the neck muscles accompanied by pain;
- Discomfort in the hand on the stretch from the shoulder to the wrist. Numbness spreads through the outer part of the hands and can be so strong that we have to further stretch your hand;
- Cut of a sharp pain, accompanied by tingling;
- Even a slight pressure on the shoulder or arm increases the pain. In the acute phase the pain may be so strong that the man seems to be too heavy, even covered by the shoulders of the shield;
- Any sudden movement, sneezing, coughing, head turning, especially to the health side of the neck, the pain is the worst.
The diagnosis of the disease
This is the most simple signs of osteoarthritis that can observe and recognize any man alone.
In fact, the symptoms of osteochondrosis of the cervical vertebrae varied. Some of them are so similar to the symptoms of diseases of the cardiovascular system and degenerative disc disease of the thoracic vertebrae that distinguish them can only be a specialist:
- Sometimes, the patient may feel a sensation of numbness in the lower extremities, which restricts the mobility;
- When compressed, the artery vertebral can occur in migraines, which are associated with the limitation of blood supply to the tissues of the brain. With the development of osteochondrosis headaches can be permanent;
- The nature of the headache can be very different, but most often occur in the part occipital and moved in the temporal-parietal part. When to bend and rotate the head, the pain intensified, and when the mass of consciousness;
- Sometimes there is pressing, the long duration of pain in the region heart.
All these symptoms are not specific and characteristic only for cervical degenerative disk disease, so that to correctly determine the location of the pathology can only be a specialist. In the course of diagnosis are used instrumental methods:
- Magnetic resonance imaging;
- Fluoroscopic studies;
- Computed tomography;
These and other techniques that allow the doctor to properly determine which vertebra is affected, where a localized pathology, and in accordance with the intensity of problems and to assign appropriate treatment.
Basic principles of treatment
How to treat osteochondrosis of the cervical spine can identify only a doctor. Self-medication in most cases has not resulted in the desired result, and only compounds the problem.
Treatment of osteoarthritis consists of two stages:
- Drug therapy, which is to relieve the inflammation and eliminate the pain. Essential drugs – Nsaids and pain relievers that can be taken orally and can be administered intramuscularly. The second route of administration is preferable, since the drug acts faster and does not affect the digestive tract. To the hospital and the patient can carry out the procedure of electrophoresis, which contributes to the rapid penetration of the active principles to the site of inflammation;
- Physiotherapy, which begin to celebrate after the removal of the inflammation and reduce the pain.
The main physiotherapeutic methods of treatment of cervical degenerative disc disease are the following:
- Massage, which should only be done by a specialist. Do not trust Amateurs, as any undue pressure or sudden movement can aggravate the problem. To enhance the effect, instead of the usual massage oils you can use anti-inflammatory and analgesic ointment, the active ingredients that massage is easier to penetrate through the barrier of the skin and have a direct impact on the inflammation and the pain. The minimum number of sessions is 10, if necessary, can be increased;
- Electrophoresis with the use of anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs;
- UHF, laser therapy, treatment with magnetic fields.
All of these procedures can be performed in a hospital, and some of them at home with the use of special portable devices:
- Physiotherapy, consisting of a specially selected set of exercises. For the exercise uses a variety of equipment, classes should be held under the supervision of a specialist. Effective method of treatment of degenerative disc disease of the neck of the uterus exerts on the wooden board, equipped with furniture made for two different levels using a loop Glisson. You should not perform these exercises on your own, as any careless movement can lead to the degradation;
- Use special kinesiology tape that is stuck in the course of the muscle fibers in the area of pain. She took a little of the burden themselves, which considerably accelerated the recovery process of the vertebrae, the pain decreases;
- In the course of the treatment and further prevention experts recommend using a special neck collars, for example, the tire Trench. These products assume some of the burden, relieve muscle tension, accelerate the process of recovery. Who is in a constant monotonous posture, such as a necklace it is recommended to wear every day for 1⁄2 - 1 hour in order to neck muscles to rest.
How to help you
After the illness, patients are often ask ourselves the question of what to do to avoid the recurrence or exacerbation of the disease.
The main recommendations are the following:
- It is necessary to conduct a correct lifestyle – Hiking, while working to constantly pursue physical 5 minutes;
- In a constant static state, it is necessary to periodically change the posture and make sure at least 1 time in the day to wear a neck brace for relief of the musculature of the neck and the rest;
- 1-2 times a year to visit a masseur for carrying out of prophylactic;
- Sports. The best sport for the download and to strengthen the muscles of swimming;
- In the first signs of cervical osteochondrosis, it is necessary to contact the doctor who will perform the examination and prescribe the proper treatment.