A sedentary lifestyle, typical of most modern people, often leads to diseases of the musculoskeletal system. One of them is osteochondrosis of the cervix. Recently, this disease has become much younger, and its symptoms are often found in people over the age of 25 years. If left untreated, the pathology can lead to dangerous consequences.
Causes of pathology
The main cause of cervical osteochondrosis is incorrect load distribution in the spine. The factors that lead to this can be different. Let’s say a person is used to carrying a heavy bag on one shoulder, sleeping or sitting in the wrong position, and so on. These factors seem to be insignificant, but when they act for a long time, they lead to a completely logical consequence - osteochondrosis of the cervical spine.
Risk factors that increase the possibility of pathology are as follows:
- lack of physical activity;
- transfer of spinal cord injuries;
- posture disorders;
- foot pathology;
- deterioration of blood supply to the cervical spine.
These reasons lead to the formation of an incorrect position of the vertebrae. The weight is unevenly distributed in the vertebrae, which is why some parts of the cervical spine endure excessive stress. In response, tissue changes occur.
The following factors may also make the situation worse:
- transfer of a disease or serious injury, leading to exhaustion of the body;
- constant stress;
- metabolic disorders in the body;
- insufficient use of trace elements, their excessive consumption or insufficient absorption from the intestines;
- occupational diseases (in particular tremor diseases);
- genetic predisposition to osteochondrosis;
- scoliosis and other behavioral disorders;
- non-compliance with the drinking regime;
- improper nutrition;
- bad habits;
Most often, SHOX provokes a complex of factors. In its occurrence, lifestyle, general health and the presence of pathologies in the background play a role.
Symptoms of the disease
Even in the initial stage, it can be recognized by the following symptoms:
- pain in the neck, back of the head, arms, shoulders;
- weakness of the upper limbs;
- headaches and cracking;
- general weakness and fatigue;
- frequent dizziness;
- lack of coordination;
- tongue numbness, hearing and vision impairment.
The most common symptom is dizziness. May be associated with:
- tinnitus and tinnitus;
- nausea and vomiting.
Patients often suffer from headaches, especially women. Sometimes it appears:
- constant mood swings;
- sleep disorders.
How is a problem diagnosed in this part of the spine?
SHOX is diagnosed by the following methods:
- Radiography. This method is not always effective, especially in the later stages of pathology.
- MRI. Makes it possible to see bone structures, hernias, size and direction of their development.
- Computed tomography is less effective than magnetic resonance imaging, as hernias and their size are difficult to determine with this method.
- Ultrasonic duplex scanning. This method is used if there is a suspicion of impaired blood flow in the arteries. The scan makes it possible to assess the speed of blood flow and the presence of obstructions in it.
The disease can proceed in different ways. Sometimes it compensates for itself, sometimes aggravations appear.
Along with the pathological process, the compensation mechanisms are stimulated, prolonging the functions of the vertebrae for a while and eliminating the symptoms. But with the further course of the disease leads to the destruction of the fibrous ring and the appearance of microcracks. The beads lose their fixation and durability.
Also, osteochondrosis is characterized by pulsation of the space between the vertebrae with calcium. With this in mind, a kind of hernia is formed, as the affected vertebra is pressed into the body of the person next to him.
Structures are consumed over time, resulting in massive ossification.
The course of the disease is divided into several stages:
- Phase 1.Instability of vertebral structures and disc disturbances.
- Phase 2.Reduction of fixation of vertebral sections, lengthening of the disc.
- Phase 3.Fibrosus ring rupture, obvious symptoms and pain.
- Phase 4.Difficulty moving, severe acute pain, diffuse bone tissue.
Due to the peculiarities of the location of blood vessels and muscles, the neck is a vulnerable area. With a long course of osteochondrosis, numerous complications appear, many of which pose a serious risk to human health.
How to get first aid at home?
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis at home includes:
- improving gymnastics;
- diet correction.
It is in combination that the therapy methods make it possible to achieve good results in the treatment of cervical osteochondrosis. The symptoms of the disease can cause serious concerns, so you need to know how to give first aid.
Various medications are used to combat the symptoms of the disease. They should be prescribed by a doctor who specializes in treating osteochondrosis - a neurologist or a vertebrologist.
- For severe pain, you can take painkillers. If they do not work, NSAIDs can be taken.
- Sometimes "distractions" are used, such as a piece of pepper. By itself, it does not heal, but warms the inflamed area and relieves pain.
- For edema in the area of inflammation, herbal infusions and diuretics are helpful.
For the treatment of SHOC, the following groups of medications are prescribed:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Help relieve pain, swelling and inflammation of the affected nerve root.
- Group B vitamins. They help improve metabolic processes in nerve tissue.
- Chondroprotectors. Promotes the restoration of cartilage tissue.
- Muscle relaxants. Helps reduce muscle spasms.
- Drugs aimed at improving the rheological properties of blood flow and blood. They help to improve the process of blood flow to the brain and nourish the affected nerve endings.
Intramuscular injections may also be indicated.
Oils for osteochondrosis help eliminate unpleasant symptoms in the initial stage of pathology. They are classified according to the effect on the body:
- Anti-inflammatory.Preparations contain non-steroidal anti-inflammatory substances that help eliminate pain and improve capillary permeability, reduce inflammation, swelling and redness.
- Warming up.Such ointments have a number of contraindications, but in some cases they are very effective.
- Complex preparations.Means of this group relieve pain and inflammation, have anti-thrombotic and antimicrobial effects. They immediately penetrate into the tissues of the joints, normalizing blood flow.
- Plant-based products.The advantage of such oils is the naturalness of the composition. But you have to use them for a long time.
- Chondroprotectors.Tools of this type protect cartilage tissue from negative factors. Ointments include chondroitin, glucosamine. They activate tissue repair processes and reduce inflammation. It is recommended to use them 2-3 times a day, as you have previously massaged the neck area a bit.
Massage helps strengthen muscle tone and relieve pain. Its technique is chosen depending on the stage of the disease. But in most cases, all the techniques of classical massage are used: rubbing, stroking, mixing, etc.
- If the patient's pain occurs on one side only, the massage starts from a healthy area, gradually shifting to where the pain appears.
- The first session should last no more than seven minutes. Then each procedure is added with 1-2 minutes until the session time reaches 12 minutes.
- The patient should assume a prone position, placing the forehead over the cysts and arms and extending the chin toward the chest. Importers It is important that the neck muscles are relaxed.
Massage can be done at home, but in this case, you have to be very careful not to hurt yourself even more. SHOX self-massage incorporates the following classic techniques:
- caressThe massage begins with hitting the collar area in the direction from the lymph to the axillary and supraclavicular joints. Then strike the planar and comb-like order.
- Push.The hand is placed on the neck and moves down the back. Pushes can also be performed with the tip of the palm towards the shoulder joints.
- Friction.Performed to warm and relax muscles. The massage begins at the base of the skull. Straight and circular movements are done with the fingers. Sawing movements can also be performed with the palms parallel to the ribs.
- decoctionThe neck lies in a circular motion.
- Vibration.The massage ends with strokes and vibrations performed with vibrations and taps.
Healing gymnastics helps to improve the patient's condition. But it will be safer during the recovery period. During the execution, the patient should not feel pain and discomfort. The exercises are aimed at strengthening the neck muscles.
Complex training therapy
The gymnastics complex should be chosen by a physician. The following exercises are helpful:
- In the prone position, you should rest your hands on the floor and slowly raise your head, keeping your back and torso straight. In the high position, you should stay for a few minutes, then return smoothly to the starting position. Do 2-3 repetitions.
- You should take a supine position, extend your arms along your body. The head turns first to the left, then to the right. Try to touch the floor with your ear. For each side, perform at least 6 repetitions.
- In a sitting position, when inhaling, you should bend over to touch the chin chest, then with the exhale, lean back, throwing the head back. The number of repetitions is 10-15.
- You should press your forehead with your palms and resist them with your forehead for 30 seconds. After the exercise is repeated with pressure on the back of the head with clenched hands. The number of repetitions is 2-3.
- Gentle rotations of the head are performed on the sides - 10 times each. Dizziness should be avoided during this exercise.
The treatment can be supplemented with physical therapy methods as well as the use of various equipment such as massage therapists.
The use of massages helps speed up healing. It should be noted that they have a number of contraindications, and they can be used only with the permission of a doctor. With osteochondrosis of the cervical spine, it is often used:
- heat massagers;
- neck and shoulder accessories.
The applicator is a cushion or mattress with plastic or metal rivets.
It acts on specific points that respond to all biological processes in the body.
Using the product helps to achieve the following results:
- reducing or eliminating pain;
- improving metabolic processes in cells;
- elimination of joint tension and restoration of their tone;
- normalization of sleep.
The device must be used in accordance with the instructions.
The following methods may be indicated by physiotherapy for SHH:
- Electrophoresis. . . It is combined with drugs that are immediately inserted into the desired area due to the effect of an electric current.
- Ultrasound.Removes pain and inflammation, helps improve metabolic processes.
- Magnetotherapy.Removes tissue swelling, thus minimizing pain.
- Laser therapy.Eliminates inflammation and improves blood circulation.
Popular time-tested recipes can be used as an adjunct treatment.
A kerosene warming compress helps relieve pain quickly.
- The cloth should be moistened with a solution, applied to the affected area.
- Put cotton or plastic wrap on top.
- Hold no more than three hours.
Rubbing from pharmaceutical preparations
- You need to press 5 analgin tablets.
- Add 15 ml spin, 0. 005 l each iodine and camphor alcohol, mix everything thoroughly.
- The composition is hidden in the areas of the neck where pain is noticed.
Pine bud infusion
The infusion of pine in the kidneys makes it possible for a minimum period of time to obtain a long-term remission in case of pain in the back of the cervix from osteochondrosis.
This medicine will have to be prepared in advance and consumed for quite a long time, but the results will bring the long-awaited effect for many months.
- Buds should be harvested before May. They are cut into rings, put in a glass container and covered with granulated sugar in a ratio of 1: 2.
- The drug should be injected for two weeks.
- You should take it in 0. 0005 liters three times a day, holding it in your mouth for a while, and only then swallow it.
The admission course is 2-3 weeks.
- You need to mix 50 g of minced raw potatoes with the same amount of honey.
- The composition is applied to a piece of natural fabric and placed on the neck.
You can get rid of the pain in three days.
- The radish should be grinded on a fine grater.
- Place the gruel between two thin pieces of cloth and place it around the neck, wrapping it in foil or parchment.
- You can hold on as long as there is enough time and effort.
- You need to mix 15 grams of honey and chopped salt.
- The composition is applied to a piece of natural material and placed on the affected area.
- On top you should wrap it in paper and wrap it in something warm.
Repeat the procedure every evening.
- 250 grams of new pine or spruce needles should be poured with a liter of water.
- Cook for half an hour.
- The juice is consumed twice a day, 35 minutes after eating.
The course of therapy lasts one month.
The most important medical properties of dandelion are associated with the content of inulin, a large amount of amino sugars, natural gum.
The plant is also valued for its content of the glycoside taraxacin, triterpene compounds, fatty oils, organic acids and alcohols, resin compounds, bioflavonoids, as well as a variety of mineral compounds, including essential calcium.
- You need to grind the dandelion roots to make 15 grams of the product.
- Pour over 250 ml of hot water and leave in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
- The broth should be infused for 55 minutes, then drain and add water until the original volume returns.
- Consume 75 ml three times daily before meals.
- Grind the ginger root, weighing about 55 g.
- Add 30 ml of soft butter and 3 cloves of garlic.
- The agent is applied to the affected area to warm it.
Mixing mustard eggs
You need to mix:
- 50 g mustard powder;
- 3 egg whites, beaten;
- 50 ml of camphor alcohol;
- 59 ml of vodka or medical alcohol.
The product is placed in a dark place for 10-12 hours.
To prepare the second mixture, you need to mix:
- 100 g of honey;
- 50 g aloe juice;
- 150 ml of vodka or diluted alcohol.
The composition is placed in a dark place for 12 hours.
The funds are applied twice a day, applying to the affected area and staying there until dry. It is recommended to combine them until they are finished. A 12-day course will help you forget the pain for a few months.
What to do in case of severe pain?
- For severe pain, you may be taking an anesthetic or NSAID. Creams give a quick result.
- The affected department should be provided with peace.
- Warm or, on the contrary, cold compresses also help. In this case, moderation is important so that the effects of low or high temperatures do not increase pain and swelling.
It should be noted that osteochondrosis therapy should be performed in a complex.
First of all, you need to remove all the pain in the neck and head, eliminate the root causes that cause discomfort.
If the patient treats extremely severe pain, it will not be possible to get rid of the main problem.
- When dizziness occurs, the patient should lie down or sit down so that the neck is as relaxed as possible.
- In case of weakness, place the patient in a horizontal position and bend the head down.
- muscle relaxants;
- anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs.
Gymnastics and physiotherapy are also helpful in dizziness therapy.
Prevention of exacerbations
To prevent deterioration, it is important to adhere to the following recommendations:
- Moderate exercise is beneficial. They help improve blood circulation and lymph flow to the collar area, improve vertebral motility, and prevent degenerative changes.
- Nutrition plays an important role. A special diet is not required, but it is recommended to limit the use of salty and spicy foods, sugar, foods that contain artificial ingredients. The diet should contain enough protein, vitamins, minerals and fiber. Drinking plenty of water is also important.
- It is necessary to undergo regular check-ups by an orthopedist.
- If you have excess weight, you need to remove it.
- When carrying weights, you should distribute the load evenly.
- People working on the computer need to do a periodic warm-up.
- Importers It is important to control your attitude, try to avoid stress, injuries and hypothermia.
Advice from doctors and patients
Specialists and patients with cervical osteochondrosis give the following advice:
- For acute pain, do not treat yourself. It is necessary to consult a doctor as soon as possible, who will develop a comprehensive treatment regimen, taking into account a specific case.
- You should not try to correct the displaced vertebra yourself and take a large amount of pain medication. Self-medication can only make the condition worse.
- An important measure for the worsening of osteochondrosis is the motor regime. In the early days, rest and movement restriction are needed, but in the future, motor activity should be expanded. Special exercises are useful.
- Importers It is important to quit smoking. This applies both to the treatment of the disease and to its prevention. Due to the influence of cigarette smoke, blood vessels are affected, blood circulation deteriorates, metabolic processes slow down. As a result, the risk of developing degenerative processes in different parts of the spine increases.
The symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis are quite unpleasant. If they appear suddenly and cause serious concerns, you can use first aid measures in the form of taking pain medication or using folk remedies. But it should be understood that these methods only alleviate the condition, but do not cure the disease. To get rid of osteochondrosis, you need to visit a specialist and adhere to the complex treatment regimen prescribed by him.