Breathing is a complex physiological act. When the body is well, we don't notice, like breathing. But sometimes you can feel the back pain when breathing in. What is the reason? Let's first understand how the breath, and what organs are involved in this process.
Back pain on inspiration – if it is dangerous
During inspiration involves not only the bronchi and lungs, but also the diaphragm, the muscles of the chest, thoracic and cervical, and intercostal nerves. The process of breathing is regulated by the brain and the spinal cord. When the muscles intercostal are in a short illness, and the diaphragm lower, the volume of the chest cavity becomes smaller and the volume of the rib cage on the contrary, increases. The increase in volume of the thorax expands the lungs, through the bronchi and therefore into the air. As a result, in the lungs the process of gas exchange.
To understand how the inhalation of the air, let's see what can cause back pain when inhaling.Pneumonia is one of the reasons
Pain on breathing in the back, can occur due to several reasons, but the main one is that the debugged mechanism of the respiration is broken. In connection with the respiratory mechanism can fail? Most often causes are diseases of the thorax, abdomen, localized in the spine of diseases that affect the musculoskeletal system and nearby tissues. Back pain when breathing can also occur during pregnancy.
In cases in which, with a deep breath back pain pain may appear as a result of developing pneumonia, followed by pleurisy. The pleural layers that face, fatten, as a result of the inflammatory process. When inhaled, they begin to RUB against each other, which causes the characteristic pain on breathing again. Usually this symptom only occurs in other: difficulty breathing, fever, cough and General weakness. During this disease because of the cough, can appear the sensations in the spinal cord to the muscles. This is because when you cough the muscles of the back and chest to support a large load. Accumulated in the muscles of the lactic acid is a back pain when breathing in.Reflects the pain
"When you breathe, my back aches," with complaints usually go to the doctor. Similar symptom can be a sign of disease of the organs located in the abdominal cavity. Some of these diseases can lead to pain in the lower back to the right. Painful sensations in the stomach, the Appendix, gallbladder, etc. is often reflected in the nature. That is to say, the patient feels the pain away from the organ affected. The pain apply a projection area.
When breathing back pain caused due to the omission of the diaphragm and increased intra-abdominal pressure. Reflect the pain of this type is also observed in malignancy, where the tumor is localized in the abdominal cavity.The problem of the spine?
However, very often, when breathing, back pain, the causes can be found in the diseases in thoracic, upper lumbar region of the spine and the nearby muscles. What is the disease?
First, osteochondrosis of the lumbar and thoracic spine, accompanied by displacement of the intervertebral discs. The last time the patient also often feels that has hurt the spine in the thoracic.
Second, very often when breathing back pain from various injuries of the spine.
In the third place, neuralgia between the ribs.
Fourth, in the lumbar or thoracic radiculitis and myositis. They are often accompanied by back pain after sleeping.
The reason for the development of the above conditions are adverse factors such as the different metabolic abnormalities, the direct mechanical effects, and hypothermia. In these cases, the back pain hurts to breathe because of the injury of the peripheral nerve. The respiratory process in muscle and the ribs is in motion, the result of the movement of the affected nerves and generate pain impulses.Treatment
As you can see, the reasons because of which back pain, hard to breathe, the most diverse. Therefore, it is important not to try and what not to, and to go to the clinic for qualified diagnostic complete all systems and organs. The examination should include x-ray, electrocardiogram (ECG), ultrasound of internal organs if you suspect any disease. Examine the mucosa of the esophagus and of the stomach. And pathology of the spine in the most effective way to detect by NMR.
It is hard to breathe, back pain – go immediately to the doctor!
Causes of the sensations as the pressure in the chest
When the pressure in the chest, people immediately begin to worry about the diseases of the heart. In fact, the majority of pathologies that manifest with similar symptoms caused by the lesions of the myocardium or heart muscle. However, there are many other reasons, in which there is pain oppressive chest: ribs osteoporosis, neurological diseases and myopathies. To identify the source of pain, we recommend the algorithm of differential diagnosis of the pathologies described in the article.The main reasons
Compresses the chest in the following diseases:
- osteochondrosis of the thoracic pathology of the spine, which is accompanied by a decrease of the height of the spine segment, even if the nerve trunks. Compression of the nerve, is accompanied by dull or sharp pain that intensified after exercise;
- gastroesophageal reflux (reflux of stomach contents into the esophagus) occurs after a meal. It compresses the chest due to the contraction spasmodic of skeletal muscles of food of the wall. The organ is the trachea, therefore, in this pathology difficult to breathe;
- between the ribs neuralgia is a consequence of degenerative disc disease of the thoracic or rib injuries. With the disease of inflammation of the nerve fibers, passing between the ribs. The pain is worse when making sharp turns the top of the torso. Difficult breathing in neuralgia between the ribs, due to the impossibility of expansion and contraction of the thoracic wall the time to do the movements and breathing;
- peptic ulcer and gastritis – diseases accompanied by an increase in the release of juice gastric alone (before meals). In the background the pathology of the stomach accumulates gas, leading to the expansion of the body. The increase is accompanied by pressure on the diaphragm, so that the patient can not breathe and the feeling that squeezed her heart;
- pulmonary embolism is a dangerous disease that is characterized by the obstruction of the pulmonary artery thrombus (blood clot) or air. In the pathology there is a strong oppression. Without timely treatment, pulmonary embolism leads to death;
- panic attacks, in which the adhesion pain combined with other symptoms: increased rate of breathing, increased strength of heart contractions, cramps and twitching of muscles;
- angina – increase of the pressure in the chest, due to heart failure during hypoxia of the myocardium. Pathogenetic link of the disease is the lack of blood supply if coronary artery by a blood clot or atherosclerotic plaque. The disease can be a consequence of prolonged stress;
- a dissection aortic it is difficult to consider as the main cause of the pain, as the probability of their occurrence does not exceed 5%. However, the pathology associated with the perception that, in the midst of strangling in the breast. The symptoms are of rapid growth and without treatment leads to death.
The above causes are often trigger pressure in the chest in the middle. Their detection and treatment can prevent serious complications. However, the diagnosis algorithm should take into account other causes of disease.Why shortness of breath
Decide what the patient difficult to breathe when the pain in the right breast, the doctors have to deal with a large number of pathological conditions. To determine the cause of the disease, they perform a series of diagnostic tests:
- ask the patient to lift the right hand. If the person has a feeling that squeezes the heart to the right, the disease is likely caused by neurological disorders (panic attacks, between the ribs neuralgia);
- to analyze the heart rhythm. If it is fast, it is impossible to exclude diseases of the heart. For these purposes, are assigned to the ECG, heart ultrasound and consultation with a cardiologist after the detection of the negative results of the study;
- when compressing the chest during breathing, it can be assumed tumor of the mediastinum or lung pathology. In a situation such as this, the rational for the prescription of x-ray or fluoroscopy of the lungs. Symptoms such as cough, sputum and fever, support the assumption;
- too narrow just after eating is a symptom evidence of disease of the stomach or the esophagus. To determine the cause of the pain is assigned esophagogastroduodenoscopy and a number of biochemical studies (amylase, ALT, AST, bilirubin);
- if you are compressed to the upper part of the body to the right when swallowing, it can be assumed laryngitis. To determine the disease doctor will examine the throat and prescribe the advice of a specialist. In cases of suspected sinusitis will have to do an x-ray of the paranasal sinuses;
- after the trauma the person also happens to be difficult to breathe. Fracture of ribs on the right side, accompanied by difficulty of breathing.
If there is severe pain in the chest, on the left, and difficult of breathing, a symptom may be due to the following reasons:
- aortic aneurysm – dissection of the membranes of the vessel for the accumulation in them of blood and the pressure on the surrounding tissue. Disease confirmed by angiography (study of blood vessels after the introduction of the agent of contrast);
- coronary heart disease (angina pectoris) and myocardial infarction – diseases life-threatening. When they compress the chest so hard to breathe and there is no fear for their own lives. Pain on the left indicate the loss of a large amount of the heart muscle;
- peptic ulcer – if the pressure in the chest after a meal. In the majority of cases, the pain weakens after taking the tablet (no-Spa);
- pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) also causes severe pain in the left chest wall. It is reinforced by the ingestion of food;
- hernia a is characterized by shortness of breath after eating. Pathology occurs because of the loss of the bowel into the chest cavity through a weak place in the diaphragm;
- diseases of the spine with compression of the nerve roots.
The following is the list of causes of pain are not final. Right in the chest to provoke feelings painful can be a great list of psychiatric. We have described only the most common of them.Why compress the chest in the middle
Pain in the chest in the middle occurs when all the above conditions. There are a number of diseased states in which it compresses in the center:
- muscle cramps occur during exercise, stress and nervous feelings. At the time of taking muscle relaxants disease disappears on its own;
- lateral deformation of the spine (scoliosis) can compress the soft tissues located in the chest cavity. When it can be infringement of the bone and the cartilage of the structures and nerves. A similar situation is observed in ankylosing spondylitis, degenerative disc disease and herniated disc.
If severe chest pain occurs after physical exertion and stress, we cannot exclude the neurological disease.
In children with these symptoms should check the the throat. It is very possible the emergence of a sense that it compresses the chest in the center.What to do
When compressing the chest, you must do the following:
- Call an ambulance, because some of the causes that threaten life.
- In a sitting position and try to relax.
- With angina stable to make a nitroglycerin tablet under the tongue.
- Try quietly and evenly breathing.
Therefore, the factor etiological of why the brim of the pit in the center, the right and the left, a lot. To determine the direct cause of the disease is only the doctor. Alone not treated is fatal!