Among them – lumbago, radiculitis, osteochondrosis and other pathological changes in the lumbosacral spine. We should not treat it carelessly, because the lower back pain not only can you achieve incredible strength, making the person's life unbearable, but also be a symptom of dangerous diseases.
Back pain can be varied: sharp or dull, aching or burning, local (to show in one place) or covering the entire back. Manifest distress in different ways: sometimes sharply, suddenly, and sometimes gradually, increasing with each passing day.
The response to pain and the ability to tolerate it depends on many factors: age, mental characteristics, accompanying symptoms, and more. But in any case can not throw the disease to the chance. The opportune treatment will help to avoid the dangerous consequences.
For the diagnosis of the cause of back pain, the necessary defence of the spine and certain additional procedures: x-ray examination, computed or magnetic resonance tomography.
The attacks of pain in the lumbosacral region observed during life in approximately 80% of the current inhabitants of the European countries. Acute or chronic back pain – a result of a variety of neurological diseases, degenerative diseases, in women and men. In some cases, back pain is a consequence of diseases of internal organs, obesity, stress and mental disorders.
Causes of lower back pain
The problem of chronic low back pain, takes rampant. The average age of onset is decreasing rapidly, currently is 35-45 years. Even in the cases of children and adolescents.
The prerequisite for the development of the pain syndrome in the low back – sedentary lifestyle of modern man, which leads to a decrease of the stability of the lower back, the most vulnerable parts of the division of the skeleton. Pain can accompany many diseases, have become a frequent reason to seek a neurologist, urologist, surgeon, gastroenterologist and a gynecologist. Projected to more aggravation of the problem. The next generation is not a healthy way of life.
Back pain in women
Arise in the period of gynecological diseases or are a consequence of the peculiarities of the physiology of the female:
- Gynaecological diseases. Inflammation of the adnexitis, accompanied by pain in the abdomen, and sometimes, pain spreads down the lower part of the back (pain in one or both sides), can also manifest the symptoms of the intimate sphere (the impossibility of becoming pregnant, always spotting before and after menstruation pain increases during sex);
- The pain is a consequence of the increase of the suspiciousness more common in women. In-depth, comprehensive study did not reveal any pathology. This problem can occur intermittently or constantly. Treated psychological correction. This pain can occur outside of the influence of the menopause.
Back pain in men
Recurring pain arise in relation to the peculiarities of the professional activity of the men, including, if the pain:
- not correspond to the state physiological of the organism of the man;
- linked to risk professionals (working in cold, drafty).
Back pain in men and women
Arise in connection with acute diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, complications in surgery, renal disease, metabolic diseases, infectious diseases of the nature, and neoplasms (benign, malignant).
- Appendicitis. It is characterized by pain localized in the right iliac region, sometimes may radiate to the lower back, usually on the right side of the body. Find an indefinite pain in the lumbar region.
- Pathology of the small intestine. Accompanied by symptoms characteristic of disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. The pain radiates to the lower back due to irritation of the fibres of the lumbar nerves.
- The cholecystitis. The pain reminiscent of symptoms of appendicitis. Usually located on the right side in the iliac region or in the navel. Sometimes felt in the lower back when involved in the pathogenesis of the fibres of the spinal nerves.
- Pancreatitis. Typical girdle pain throughout the body, the waist, reflects the lumbar region. Combined with the typical pancreatitis symptoms – vomiting, defecation violation, a touch on the tongue. If the cause of the pain – pancreatitis, the area of the spine to the feeling of not react in response to the application of the force.
- Adhesions after surgery. Occur after laparotomy or abdominal surgery on the abdominal organs, sometimes diagnosed congenital adhesions. The pain is localized in different parts of the abdominal wall, which radiates to the lower back.
- Of the kidney disease. Lower back pain combined with headache, increase in diastolic (lower) threshold of the blood pressure, and edema. Characteristic changes in the laboratory studies, urine tests, instrumental studies, renal ultrasound, magnetic RESONANCE imaging;
- Obesity fourth degree. This extreme increase fat mass in humans. The body mass index of the fourth degree (under 25 years) = 40, the second group (after 25) = 41. It is defined as the ratio of the mass (kg) to two times the height (m). Causes of the pressure at the bottom of the back is clear without explanation.
- Of infection involved in the pathogenesis of bone tissue, for example, extrapulmonary (bone) of the tuberculosis. Is manifested by pain in the bones. The location of the pain in the lower back is related to the fact that is the major division of the spine, and is subject to the maximum load. The symptoms associated with the clinical picture of the chronic infection. Show a slight hyperthermia, fatigue, headache, symptoms of lesions of the nervous system, laboratory reveal tuber Bacillus.
- Myositis – inflammation of muscles. The muscles of the lumbar area to carry a heavy load, so that the inflammation of the lumbar area are common. The disease develops as a result of the hypothermia, the penetration of pathogens of viral infections (herpes Zoster), bacterial infections (Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, other bacteria) into the tissue in this area. It manifests with fever, severe pain, developing suddenly after the local or General hypothermia. Chronic phase of the disease is manifested by pain pain, sometimes with the involvement of the tissues of the skin and subcutaneous tissue (dermatomyositis). The diagnosis is based on clinical interviews with the patient, inspection, palpation and methods of the laboratory.
- The growth of the benign and malignant tumors along the nerve fibers, innervating the lower part of the back. The symptoms are varied, and correspond to the stage of the disease and the localization of the pathology.
Persistent and recurring lower back pain
There are different classifications of pain, including, depending on the length.
- Recurring pain, usually associated with exercise, the physiological characteristics of the human body or acute diseases of the internal organs.
- Constant, acute pain and chronic, caused by irreversible pathological processes in the organism in diseases of the musculoskeletal system of the human skeleton and lesions in the deep vessels of the legs.
Periodic back pain - as they are called because they disappear after the recovery and the elimination of the source of pain.
The origin of the pain may vary in women or men, or treat men and women.
Persistent back pain is usually caused by inflammatory, degenerative, and irreversible degenerative processes in bone and cartilage, severe disorders of the blood vessels of the legs. Constant pain in less associated with injuries of muscles and internal organs.
The constant pain is called when the remove the source of the dust is difficult due to the development of irreversible processes in the bone and cartilage. Degenerative and dystrophic processes, generally, are not subject to a complete healing. You can pause or stop for a moment. In some cases, the pain persists after the replacement of the damaged tissue to the implant.
Recurring and persistent pain, often have a close relationship with the other, so that the temporary pain becomes constant.
For example, the os of the tb because of the malnutrition of the cartilage, causing osteoarthritis and the pain that occurs almost always with periods of release and exacerbation.
The curvature of the spine (scoliosis) initially unnoticed, appears periodically, and then goes into a degenerative disc disease and is manifested by constant pain. The examples may continue.
Disease, accompanied by constant pain in the lower part of the back:
- Lumbago – acute lower back pain. A consequence of pathological changes in the lumbar vertebrae. In the initial stages of the pain may stop, since the pathological process with timely treatment to eliminate it. Develops suddenly, lifting weights and other similar reasons. Most frequently diagnosed in men. Lumbago – a possible consequence of various diseases, for example, the displacement, herniated disc, pinched nerve roots in the lumbar region (neuralgia), inflammation or pinching of the sciatic nerve of osteoarthritis and other abnormalities of the vertebrae. In addition to severe pain, manifested by the decrease of the mobility of the skeleton in the lumbar region. In the absence of treatment or incorrect treatment of lumbago can develop into irreversible disease of the bone.
- Intervertebral osteochondrosis – includes various diseases of inflammatory and degenerative nature, is manifested initially by the destruction of the surface of the articulate cartilage and bone involved in the pathogenesis of the nerves.
- The scoliosis. The lateral curvature of the vertebrae, is manifested by the asymmetry of the shoulder line, alters the posture, the deformation of the skeleton, the formation of the rib hump, which is visible when the inclination. It develops when the decrease of the function of bones and muscles, degenerative processes in the cartilage tissue of the lower part of the back. Manifests with pain of the bones in complicated cases. Long scoliosis are asymptomatic. Scoliosis can be congenital or acquired.
- Ankylosing spondylitis loss joint mobility. Much more common in men. Another name for pathology is Bechterew's disease. It is a chronic inflammation. The disease is manifested by pain in the joints and the spine, which is characterized by lesions of the eyes, a decrease in the human growth. Therefore, there is a proliferation of connective tissue of the joints of the spine.
- Spondylosis. This is a natural process of aging of the joints. There is a progressive thinning and loss of mobility of the lumbar joints. Pathogenesis unfolds the complications and the adherence of the inflammation of the course of the spondylosis. The symptoms are consistent with inflammation of the joints of the spine.
- The leg length difference of more than 2-3 cm, accompanied by a variety of pain on motion, including the pain in the lower back. Pathology develops as the muscle atrophy of one leg due to childhood polio and other diseases. In some cases, the problem of cope with the help of orthopedic tabs. The default is hard to fix when too large a difference in leg length or with a gentle lift of the foot.
- Osteoporosis – thinning, loss of calcium from bone tissue. Often causes fractures of the hip. See also the lumbar osteoporosis. It is manifested by deformity of the skeleton, joints, cartilage, and the development of hernias vertebrae. More common in women during menopause.
- Thrombophlebitis is a partial or complete shutdown of blood flow in deep blood vessels. Combined with an inflammation around the vessel. This complicates the disease, provoking the development of the pain syndrome even at rest.
To what doctor to address?
With pain in the spine, in the first place, you should turn to a neurologist at the local hospital, if the patient's condition stable, or to call an ambulance. Back pain can be a symptom of a gynecological, urological, surgical, and gastroenterological problems.
Low back pain, often combined with a variety of infections and injuries of the extremities. Not eliminated pain in the lower back, diseases of the heart and the lungs. This is established in depth reviews.
After the patient is diagnosed, they usually prescribe drugs that reduces pain, normalizes blood circulation and helps to restore the nervous tissue. Can be tablets, gels, ointments or injections, to relieve the inflammation and spasms.
Surgical intervention is necessary in the diagnosis of a herniated disc, which is a complication of osteoarthritis. A hernia that presses on the nerve root, is removed, is restored, and the pain, with time it happens.
The best of the spine and muscles relax when sleeping on a hard mattress, put the knees a little cushion. While bed rest should not last too long, because it is full of weakening of the muscles that will only make the problem worse. Even in the intense pain, you should try to keep at least a slight physical activity.